Does your estate planning or elder law firm have computer maintenance protocols in place? Have you ever started your Monday morning face-to-face with the blue screen of death? Here are some tips and ideas to help your law office develop and implement a systems and procedures guide for computer maintenance.
Make sure that with whatever virus scanner you have that your subscription is active, i.e., you are getting new virus definitions. Your software should be checking for and downloading new definitions daily (automatically). Then make sure your software is set to scan at least weekly. Here are a few common antivirus programs to consider:
- AVG: http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download
- Avast: http://www.avast.com/en-us/index
- Norton: http://us.norton.com/
- Only one antivirus software should be installed on a single computer – to avoid conflicts.
- If you are switching from one software to another, first download the new software; then take your system offline and uninstall the first software. Now you may install the new antivirus software.
File / Systems Maintenance:
To keep your computer running smoothly and keep common computer issues to a minimum, it's important to keep your computer clean! Think of the dreaded blue screen of death and how much time can be lost from day-to-day office production dealing with hiccups and slow computers. Here's a few tools we can all use: (CCleaner can be used weekly and MalwareBytes as needed.)
- CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
- MalwareBytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
- Schedule CCleaner as a task to open weekly – then you'll have to run it manually.
- Tip: Go to Start/Help & Support. Type 'schedule a task' and then follow the help menu to learn how to schedule a task.
- Run both the cleaner and the registry tools every week. Not just the cleaner.
- CCleaner updates must be downloaded and installed routinely.
- MalwareBytes can be run on occasion or as needed. This tool detects spyware or malware that can show up as randomly placed hyperlinks in your website or blog.
Plan Your Marketing Retreat in Kansas City
Have you planned your trip to Kansas City to Get Your Marketing on the Fast Track? While you’re here, be sure to visit the National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial which was designated by Congress in 2004 as the United States’ official World War I Museum.