You may have noticed that the phrase “responsive design” has become quite popular recently. Designers are raving, marketers are excited … have you hopped on the responsive design bandwagon yet? Unless you know a little about it, it all seems pretty over-hyped.
Here are 5 reasons why responsive design is great:
- Works seamlessly across all devices. A responsive website does just that, responds to the device it is being viewed on. Unlike a static website that requires mobile viewers to pinch and zoom and scroll every-which-direction to find what they are looking for, responsive websites scale and move elements around for a more user-friendly experience. When you’re out running errands, do you ever forget an address or wish you had a business’ phone number handy? A responsive website will give you that phone number or address on your smartphone quickly and painlessly -- no pinching and zooming required!
- Up-to-date coding. Responsive websites are coded with some of the most current and up-to-date code and web standards. While this might not sound all that impressive, what it means is that new websites can have some pretty cool new features much more easily. Instead of using a lot of images to design a website (which can really slow down the site), we can now use just a few lines of code to do the same thing. This makes websites faster, smoother, and simpler overall.
- Favors updated browsers. Because responsive design uses up-to-date coding, it looks and works best on browsers that can support that code. HTML and CSS code are basically a list of instructions for the browser to read before displaying the website you see. We’ve talked before about how browsers can read those instructions a little differently. With responsive design becoming even more widespread, now is a great time to pick a browser that also loves responsive design! (Firefox and Chrome are my favorites!)
- Easier to manage. Having a responsive site means no more separate mobile sites. A separate mobile site often requires making some hard choices – all the content just cannot be accommodated for one reason or another. But no more! Responsive sites guarantee that, for the most part, all viewers get the same experience when visiting your website, no matter what device they view it from. Having just one site also makes it easier and faster to update the website for all formats and devices.
- Future-proof. Responsive designs are not designed with a particular device in mind. So as even more mobile devices are created at smaller sizes, bigger sizes, etc., responsive websites will keep on working. While this isn’t to say that we won’t have to revisit and tweak websites to optimize them for more devices, for the most part, responsive design is future-proof.
So, what do you think? Ready to hop on the responsive design bandwagon? If you want to learn more about it or take a look at some of our newest responsive websites, give us a call today!