Our clients often ask about choosing a font for their website. With all of the options available and factors involved, choosing an appropriate font really becomes an art form!
Here are some factors to consider when choosing a font:
- The font needs to be web-safe. By default, websites try to use fonts that are installed on your individual computer. But you can’t be sure that the font options on your computer are exactly the same as they are on mine or on your clients’ computers. The most common way of overcoming this issue currently is to use fonts hosted on external sites that we can link to. Make sure the font you have in mind is available.
- Will you be adding custom printed marketing pieces in addition to your online marketing tools? If yes, choose a font with licensing for both print and web use.
- How old is your target audience? There are fonts specifically designed to be easier to read on screens, which are a good choice for a more senior audience. For younger audiences, be sure to pick a font that scales well for mobile devices.
- How much text will there be? Certain types of fonts are better for headings than for long paragraphs of text, and vice versa. Be sure to pick a font appropriate for the amount of copy. You can usually get away with using a more elaborate or decorative font for a heading than you can for your welcome message.
- Consider other fonts being used. Combining fonts makes things even more complicated! When choosing fonts to be used in unison, I like to choose fonts that have an obvious contrast. For example, try a font that’s bold and chunky for headlines with a font that’s thinner for the body copy.
I know it can get a little overwhelming to choose a font. But that’s why you’ve chosen to work with the team at Integrity Marketing Solutions! Our designers will listen to your concerns and choose a font appropriate for your audience and situation.