How long has it been since we helped you set up your LinkedIn profile? If it’s been more than 6 months or a year, I recommend you update your profile. If we set it up recently, I recommend you go in and beef it up a little. Think of your LinkedIn profile as a living resume that you want to keep updated because people are always looking at it. It’s easy and below are some tips to help get started:
- When you log into your LinkedIn account you might be pleasantly surprised by their Improve Your Profile Tool. It takes you through a series of questions and walks you through adding to and improving your profile. Approaching it this way may just be all that you need to do. It's easy, so give it a try and just click the link and follow the prompts.
- Have a friend, colleague or your assistant look over your profile and make sure it’s focused and updated. Sometimes it’s a good idea to get a second opinion. Have them make sure it flows and you're promoting yourself well. We tend to have a hard time tooting our own horn so make sure your strengths and talents shine!
- Include all of the companies you worked for prior to your present practice, as well as make sure your education and awards are all there. This is the most important area for a professional.
- Continue to give your valuable blog content to your LinkedIn connections. The information provided is specific to your estate planning practice. It keeps you top of mind with your network and keeps your profile constantly updated with blog feeds. Often times connections log into LinkedIn specifically looking for information from those they respect and admire in their network community. You're giving them what they want!
- Ask for references. Think of the top five people that you work with the most and ask them first. Sometimes the best way to get a reference is to give one first. They’ll probably be more than happy to do the same for you.
Updating your profile is relatively easy and I can’t stress enough the importance of having an updated online resume for your colleagues to review and admire!